In order to supply the Electoral Palace in the Neustadt with fresh, clean water, Elector Clemens Wenzeslaus of Saxony laid a water pipe from the Metternicher Berg across the city centre, which was completed in 1785. Not only the supply of the castle should be guaranteed, but also the population of Koblenz should profit. The first fountain was erected as an obelisk on the new Clemensplatz in 1791. The Latin inscription reads "Clemens Wenzeslaus elector vicinis suis 1791", translated "Elector Clemens Wenzeslaus, to his neighbours, 1791". In 1970 the obelisk was moved to its present location in front of the municipal theatre.
Clemensbrunnen - Obelisk