Elector Franz Georg Schönborn had the baroque, palatial dicasterial building erected at the foot of the Ehrenbreitstein in the middle of the 18th century. The plans for it came from the famous master builder Balthasar Neumann.
The building originally stood in the immediate vicinity of Schloss Philippsburg, then one of the most important and largest baroque buildings on the Rhine. In 1801 Schloss Philippsburg was destroyed by the French, but the dicasterial building was preserved.
The secular administrative building of the Elector of Trier housed, among other things, the Electoral Court. In the meantime, the building also served as a residence, troop quarters, military hospital, seat of the Nassau government and food magazine. In 1936 the dicasterial building was rebuilt for office purposes. It was partially destroyed during the Second World War and rebuilt in 1947.