Romantic Cities Rheinland-Pfalz

Detail-Informationen zu Ihrer Auswahl

Löwentor | Koblenz

The Lion's Gate is the impressive, crenellated

work vector of the dissolved Prussian fortress of Emperor Alexander. The

griffins on both sides of the portal, cast in the Sayner Hütte, and the large

inscription give a good impression of the military and urban impression of the

complex. To defend the town against enemies from the southwest, the

construction of the fortress of Emperor Alexander, one of the largest single

fortifications in Germany, was begun in 1817. The fortress had an almost square

ground plan with a side length of about 500 metres on an area of 25 hectares.





In addition to the preserved fort of Grand Duke

Constantine and the battery on the Hüberling, the Alexander system included the

disappeared works of the Alexander entrenchment, the Moselle battery, the

Moselle white entrenchment and the underground communication to Fort

Constantine. In the Franco-German War of 1870/71, the fortress housed a

prisoner-of-war camp for up to 10,000 men. Despite large expenditure of funds,

it had to be abandoned in 1903, obsolete and damaged by groundwater. After the

First World War the facility was almost completely sanded in 1920-22, only the

Löwentor and the Reduit were preserved. The Hüberling battery was left to the

city of Koblenz before 1903 and is now a memorial.





For the celebrations different subsequent uses

were in the discussion, however, none of these plans came to the execution.

After 1945, miserable quarters were set up in the Reduit, which were destroyed

by blasting in 1964, as in many other fortifications. Even today, the streets

on the Karthause are dominated by the former ramparts and the Löwentor (Lion

Gate) greets every visitor on his way up.

You can reach us at:

Feste Kaiser Alexander
56075 Koblenz


Löwentor Feste Alexander 1910 (Quelle: Koblenz-Touristik GmbH)
Arrival by train - Anreiseformular