The building, erected between 1902 and 1906 in the neo-Romanesque style, was the seat of the former Prussian government for the administrative district of Koblenz in the Rhine Province and the main tax office.
Emperor Wilhelm II himself made changes to the layout of the towers and roofs in order to link them to the Staufer period. The result was a 158-metre-long complex built in the Wilhelminian neo-Romanesque style around two inner courtyards with side wings, which still today has a decisive influence on the image of the Rhine front.
The four-storey main front on the bank with its massive, gable-crowned central pavilion looks like a fort due to the large corner towers and the tuff stone cladding of the facades. Inside there are monumental staircases with vaulted halls and outstanding stonemasonry work.
Today, the former Prussian government building houses the presidium of the Federal Office for Equipment, Information Technology and Use of the Armed Forces (BAAINBw). Since 1993, the Koblenz Higher Regional Court has been located in the southern part of the building.